For the longest time, I’ve been hung up on the idea of having a “thing”. You know, like the one thing that sets me apart from a crowd. For instance, there are some people where a sport like figure skating is their life, or they are so incredibly smart, or they are crazy fashionable. I have no idea where this fixation originated from, there is probably some deep phycological reason but I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to dive into it. There is a part of me that wants so badly to be defined by something, and I guess thats the problem.
Having varied interests does not necessarily mean that I can’t be good/passionate about them all. I’m a “Jack of all trades” one could say. Others may call me well rounded. But is being too well rounded a bad thing? Can you be so far spread across the board that you don’t properly fit in with any clique?
Here are all of (well, as many as I can currently think of) interests, maybe you won’t be as confused as I am. I am putting them into a list because, well I need to organize my thoughts. I’m like that (see number 7!).
- Cheerleading: I have been in cheer since I was 8, that’s a long time. I love watching cheer videos and cheering and competing and all that. But it does not rule my life. I love it, honestly but sometimes there are things that I would much rather be doing instead of sweating in a gym for hours on end.
- Reading: Books are like the most amazing things ever. I am always reading. When I read, I can just escape the world and (somewhat) relax (I never really do). My sister and I can talk for HOURS about books and characters and terrible TV adaptations. The one con to being a book lover, is that although I am introverted, I still like to talk to people and not seem standoffish. I am an athlete, I have a social life and I don’t want to come across as someone who does not want to be social. Maybe, once again it’s all in my head.
- Movies/TV: If I could watch every movie in existence, I would. I have a weird nack to be able to quote movies on command and use lines from them to get laughs. Same with TV. I love being able to fall in love with characters. They always seem to resonate more with me than real people do. I get this same feeling with books. I will obsess over shows and movies and I love doing it. It makes me feel as if I am a part of something better than reality.
- Star Wars: This is kinda a spinoff of the last point, but I love Star Wars (and a lot of geekery in general) so much I thought it deserved it’s own. SW is another one of those things that I get so passionate about my stomach will hurt (in a good way!) I have cute Star Wars shoes and clothes that I love, but that I am sometimes embarrassed to wear in public. Why do I always try and impress the wrong people?
- English: This point is pretty broad, but I am a total english nerd. I heart Shakespeare and I write essays for fun. As you already know, I read constantly and I am defiantly on course for pursuing a career in the “english” field, just don’t ask me what it is, that I unfortunately cannot answer. I also have this blog that I love writing. It is totally top secret, no one I know knows about it, so it is all mine!
- Fashion/Beauty: To throw a curveball, I also love clothes. Like it’s pretty bad. I’d like to say that I am fashionable. My style is definitely very classy, timeless and preppy, but I try and throw some trendy bits in there to keep it interesting. If I could shop every weekend, I would. I like watching beauty YouTubers talk about makeup (I’m not crazy experimental, I like to keep things simple) and definitely appreciate the art form.
- Organizing: Lastly, this one is sorta weird, but I love being neat and organized. It is more of a personality trait than an interest, but it is just as prominent. My room is spotless and I have like the most organized school supplies in the world. And I don’t even find it hard. Sometimes, people make fun of me for having like 10 different coloured pens to use in my agenda, but I would not give it up for anything!
- School: Kinda embarrassing, but I’ve got to admit it, I really like school! I try in every class and I get good grades. Although sometimes I would rather do anything than spend another minute at school, I would be absolutely bored without it.
If you made it through all of that, you deserve a medal! So now you know what the majority of my very different interests are. Maybe you think I’m insane, maybe you are just like me. Now that I’ve gotten all this out, it does not seem as stressful as I thought it was. Maybe different people “define” me by different things. There are some people out in the world who probably think I am perfect and good at everything. Clearly that is impossible and not true but still. Maybe I am just that, complex and well rounded. I know that everyone has interests that can be polar opposites of each other. It’s probably just me that takes it so seriously.
So, can any of you relate? Am I worried about nothing? I can’t honestly say that any of these things are more important than another, and I know that my interests are not what literally define me as a person. I hope that me divulging one of my inner concerns helps you get to know me a little better, and maybe helps you realize that being different is a good thing. You are super cool and you rock!
Do you think it’s possible to be a crazy organized, fashionable, introverted, geeky athlete all in one? I guess I do!